How to Reheat Refrigerated Sous Vide Steak: A Step-by-Step Guide
So, you’ve got some leftover sous vide steak in the refrigerator but want to enjoy it just as tender and flavorful as when it was first cooked? Look no further! In this guide, we’ll walk you through simple steps to reheat refrigerated sous vide steak while preserving its juicy goodness.
Gather Your Tools and Ingredients
Before we dive into the reheating process, let’s ensure you have everything at hand. Here’s what you’ll need:
1. Refrigerated sous vide steak
2. Ziplock bag or vacuum-sealed bag
3. Sous vide machine or a large pot
4. Cooking oil (such as vegetable or olive oil)
5. Tongs or kitchen utensils for handling
Step 1: Preparing the Equipment
To begin, fill your sous vide machine with water according to its instructions and set the temperature between 120-130°F (49-54°C). If using a pot instead of a sous vide machine, place it on your stovetop over low heat and aim for similar temperature ranges.
Step 2: Seal in Freshness
Take your refrigerated sous vide steak out of its container and pat dry with paper towels. Then transfer it into a ziplock bag or vacuum-sealed bag, ensuring there is ample space for water displacement during cooking.
If using a ziplock bag:
1. Place the steak inside.
2. Slowly lower the bag into the pot of heated water until almost fully submerged, leaving only an inch unsealed.
(Note: The pressure from submerging will force excess air out.)
3. Carefully seal the remaining inch of the zipper lock.
If using a vacuum-sealed bag:
1. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to seal the steak inside.
2. Ensure a proper vacuum seal, as any leaks may compromise the reheating process.
Step 3: Gentle Reheating
Once your bag is securely sealed, gently place it into the preheated water bath or pot. Allow the sous vide steak to reheat for about 30 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of around 120°F (49°C).
Remember to keep an eye on maintaining a consistent water temperature throughout this process. Adjust your stovetop heat accordingly or monitor your sous vide machine’s settings.
Step 4: Finishing Touches
While your refrigerated sous vide steak reheats, take a moment to prepare for its final sear – ensuring that delightful crust and color we all love.
1. Heat a pan over high heat and add cooking oil.
(Note: Use an oil with a high smoke point like vegetable or olive oil.)
2. Once the pan is hot, carefully remove your reheated steak from its bag using tongs.
(Note: The steak will be delicate after sous vide cooking; handle with care.)
3. Sear each side of the steak in the hot pan for approximately one minute per side until you achieve a golden-brown crust.
– Avoid leaving out refrigerated sous vide steak at room temperature for an extended period before reheating.
– Always ensure thorough heating above food safety temperatures (e.g., beyond 130°F/54°C) during both initial cooking and reheating processes.
– Consume leftover meat within three days after original preparation to maintain freshness and quality.
Reheating refrigerated sous vide steak doesn’t have to be daunting! By following these simple steps – preparing equipment, sealing properly, gentle reheating, and adding a final sear – you can enjoy that mouthwatering, perfectly cooked steak once again. So go ahead, give it a try and savor every tender, flavorful bite!